Orthodontics in Erie, PA
The truth about our world is that many people judge you by your appearance. An attractive appearance can actually pay off in ways you never thought of. Good looking people get paid more, get more promotions, and are more likely to get hired, not to mention the self-confidence that comes with success.
According to Business Insider, your attractiveness can make or break your career at the ground level. According to a study done by Rice University and the University of Houston, people’s facial appearance can affect how well their job interview goes. The study noted that facial blemishes or flaws could actually distract the interviewer and lower their evaluation. During interviews, for example:
"The more they (the interviewers) attended to stigmatized features on the face, the less they remembered about the candidate's interview content, and the less memory they had about the content led to decreases in ratings of the applicant."
Facial blemishes and flaws can extend to birthmarks and oddly shaped features, but the most noticeable feature we can’t hide behind makeup or tailored-suits is our smile. Wide gaps in our teeth can affect how people view us, as well as crooked, protruding, or misaligned bites. Teeth are an essential investment in your future; everyone notices strong, beautiful teeth.
If you are a patient in Erie, PA, and are considering orthodontics to improve your life, please contact us at Lake Erie Dental to discuss your dental options.
- Orthodontic Treatment for All Ages
- Are You Ready for Straighter Teeth?
- What Happens at an Orthodontist Consultation?
- Should I Get Braces as an Adult?
- Schedule Your Orthodontic Appointment
Orthodontic Treatment for All Ages
Dr. Kevin Sambuchino provides orthodontic treatment for Erie, PA patients of all ages, including children. According to the American Association of Orthodontists, most children can benefit from having an orthodontic consultation by the age of seven. Early evaluation provides dentists with the information they need to plan future dental procedures for children ahead of time.
Orthodontic issues can be a result of either genetic or environmental factors, and it’s crucial for a proper diagnosis to take place before treatment begins. The results from orthodontic treatment can be dramatic. Not only are the appearances of a smile improved after orthodontics, but patients also enjoy better oral health because straight teeth are easier to take care of than those that are misaligned.
Orthodontic procedures typically can last from six to 30 months, depending on the age of the patient and what the braces are treating. Whether you have young children who need to be evaluated or you are an adult who has been living with a misaligned jaw or crooked teeth your entire life, we invite you to give us a call.
Come to Lake Erie Dental for an orthodontic consultation!
Are You Ready for Straighter Teeth?
Treatments are now available for our young patients, which may prevent dental problems in the future. For example, treating young children while their bodies are still growing means additional treatment in the future can often be eliminated.
Common Orthodontic Corrections
Some common orthodontic corrections include:
- When the upper front teeth extend beyond the lower front teeth, this is referred to as an overbite. It is also called a deep bite. It can be corrected by moving the front teeth up and moving the back teeth together to ensure proper alignment between upper and lower teeth.
- It’s essential to correct overbite because:
- It can prevent the front teeth from functioning correctly.
- It can lead to tissue problems if the lower front teeth bite into the upper palate.
- It can cause jaw or joint problems.
- It can cause the lower front teeth to wear down unduly.
- Lower teeth protrude past upper teeth in an underbite.
- Solutions include jaw growth modifications, teeth extraction, and sometimes, surgical correction.
- Correcting this issue early is recommended because the condition can:
- Cause undue wear of the teeth because front teeth and molars are often not functioning properly
- Cause problems with the temporomandibular joint (the joint where the jaw connects with the skull)
- Make chewing difficult
- Crossbite is present when one or more teeth on the upper jaw meet at the inside of the lower teeth.
- It can cause premature wear of teeth and lead to gum disease and bone loss.
- Braces can move the tooth or teeth into the correct position; in some cases, a retainer is adequate.
- Children who suck their thumbs or thrust their tongues are often subject to open bite, where there is insufficient vertical overlap between the upper and lower teeth.
- Growth modification of the jaws, as well as breaking the oral habit that caused the condition, are effective for correction.
What Happens at an Orthodontist Consultation
During your initial orthodontist consultation, Dr. Sambuchino will be able to let you know all your orthodontic options, including what braces options you are a candidate for, the length of treatment if any teeth need to be extracted to make space for the braces, and what the after-care plan looks like. As with any dental procedure, we encourage you to do your own research and ask any questions during your visit to Lake Erie Dental.
Dr. Sambuchino will never start a dental procedure without his patients understanding their financial options and their eligibility to every dental treatment available to them. If you are satisfied with Dr. Sambuchino’s recommendations, we encourage you to schedule your follow-up orthodontic appointment in order to take impressions and photographs of your teeth.
Should I Get Braces as an Adult?
Many adults need braces for various reasons. Either they never got braces as a child, or a recent injury or illness has necessitated orthodontic treatment. As a patient in Erie, PA, you may be wondering if you are ready to commit to adult braces.
According to many people who have undergone orthodontic treatment, the investment is worth it, no matter what age you are. Many adult patients are inspired by co-workers or friends who get braces as an adult; instead of invoking embarrassment through wearing adult orthodontics, adult braces are a symbol for self-investment.
Your smile is one of your most important features. Even if you decide to wait until you’re sure or older, you’ll never stop wanting to improve your smile. Many adult patients get orthodontics in their 40’s and 50’s, showing how important their smile remained even as years go by. A beautiful smile is a human desire that is not limited to an age range.
If you are considering adult braces, bear in mind the sooner you straighten your teeth, the easier it is to clean your teeth and potentially avoid cavities. Straighter teeth are easy to brush and floss, and there are fewer places for food debris to get stuck in.
Schedule Your Orthodontic Appointment
For many people, a healthy, beautiful smile can improve your life personally, professionally, and mentally. If you are ready to gift yourself straighter teeth, don’t hesitate to call Dr. Kevin Sambuchino to discuss your orthodontic treatment options. No patient ever regretted improving their appearance, oral health, and self-confidence.
Contact Lake Erie Dental to arrange an orthodontic consultation for you or a family member.