BOTOX® Cosmetic | Erie PA
Call today to schedule an appointment: Erie Office Phone Number 814-864-7511.
BOTOX® Cosmetic MAY BE THE ANSWER. LOOK 5 YEARS YOUNGER IN 10 MINUTES.
Dr. Sambuchino offers patients botox to treat TMJ pain, migraine headaches, teeth clenching, and to give patients a refreshed, more youthful look.
BOTOX® Cosmetic can help you achieve a smoother and more youthful appearance. This procedure has been used safely for over two decades for medical purposes such as tension headaches, excessive sweating, eye twitching, and other neurologic and ophthalmic conditions. This treatment is FDA-approved and has been helping people regain a smoother and more youthful appearance for many years. To learn how you can achieve a more youthful appearance call us for a free cosmetic consultation.
What areas and conditions of the face do we treat with BOTOX® Cosmetic?
- Between the eyebrows (glabelar area) – this area commonly develops deep vertical lines between the brows.
- The forehead area – this area often has horizontal wrinkles that are always present as a result of raising the eyebrows over the years.
- The corners of the eyes (crows feet) – these wrinkles develop from years of smiling and sun damage.
- Lifting the eyebrows for a more youthful appearance – a small amount of BOTOX® Cosmetic is used in the upper border of the eyebrow to facilitate a lifting of the lateral border of the brow.
- Wrinkles on the side of the nose.
- Gummy smiles (showing too much gum tissue when you smile) – There are specific muscles that lift the upper lip when smiling. These muscles can be treated to decrease the effects of these muscles and create an ideal amount of gum tissue to show with a full smile.
- Wrinkles around the lips – These wrinkles are produced by the puckering of the lips, this muscle action can create wrinkles that are permanent and run vertically above and below the lips.
- Wrinkles just above the chin.
- Wrinkles in the neck (platismal area) – These wrinkles are established by flexing the muscles of the neck.
- TMJ pain – Many patients who have TMJ pain also clench their teeth. The clenching can be treated by decreasing the intensity of the masseter muscles.
- Migraine headaches – Many patients who get consistent migraine headaches have these headaches start in very specific areas. Treating these areas can help the intensity and frequency of migraine headaches.
- Clenching teeth (bruxism) – Patients who clench their teeth develop very strong masseter muscles. These muscles are treated to decrease the intensity of the clenching.
BOTOX® Cosmetic is a highly refined purified protein. There are absolutely no live bacteria in the Botox injection. It has been used for over 20 years. Botox works intracellular and therefore takes 2-10 days to take effect. It works on dynamic wrinkles or wrinkles that are created due to the motion of muscles. Most lines on the face are created by the repetitive creasing and folding of the skin by underlying muscles. Over time as we age this continued creasing causes the wrinkles to remain even when the muscles are not contracting. These wrinkles that are created by muscles of facial expression can be eliminated with BOTOX® Cosmetic. BOTOX® Cosmetic acts by binding to nerve terminals and leaving portions of muscles that are injected relaxed. By relaxing these muscles the skin is allowed to recover. This will continue for 3 to 4 months before the effects wear off. At this point the muscles begin to contract fully and therefore bring back the unwanted wrinkles. The great thing about BOTOX® Cosmetic is that after it wears off the wrinkles are no worse than they were before treatment, therefore treating unwanted wrinkles as soon as they develop keeps them from getting worse as we age. These wrinkles usually arrive in our late twenties, but this is dependent upon lifestyle. The most common wrinkles that can be removed by BOTOX® Cosmetic are in the areas of the forehead, between the eyebrows, around the corners of the eye, upper lip, nose, neck, and chin.
BOTOX® Cosmetic FAQ
How long does it last?
BOTOX® Cosmetic usually takes 2-4 days to recognize improvement, however many patients see results earlier. The effects of Botox treatment generally last from 4-6 months. Glenn will be able to properly suggest a time frame should you wish to make a follow up appointment for your next BOTOX® Cosmetic treatment.
Is treatment with BOTOX® Cosmetic painful?
Discomfort is usually minimal and brief. Prior to injection, your physician may choose to numb the area with a cold pack or anesthetic cream. The entire procedure takes approximately 10 minutes. Most patients are in and out of the office without downtime following BOTOX® Cosmetic treatment.
Do I need anesthesia?
No, anesthesia is not required. The medicine is injected using a very fine needle which minimizes discomfort and makes for near perfect accuracy.
How long will the procedure take?
The procedure is completed in a matter of minutes.
Do I need to prepare for BOTOX® Cosmetic?
It is recommended that BOTOX® Cosmetic patients avoid alcohol for about a week prior to BOTOX® Cosmetic injections. Patients should also avoid aspirin and anti-inflammatory medications for two weeks prior to treatment. This will greatly minimize bruising.
How much does BOTOX® Cosmetic cost?
BOTOX® Cosmeticis priced based on the amount used. As a general rule, the cost is $200-$300 per area.
What are the side effects of BOTOX® Cosmetic?
The most common side effect of BOTOX® Cosmetic is slight and temporary bruising. This will be lessened by applying ice right after the procedure. Other possible side effects:
- Respiratory infection
- Blepharoptosis (drooping of the upper eyelid)
Is BOTOX® Cosmetic safe?
Yes, Botox is approved by the FDA (US Food and Drug Administration). The best candidates for Botox are healthy men and women who are with reasonable expectations. Most patients begin to notice wrinkles and seek out BOTOX® Cosmetic treatment at age 30 or older. However, some patients will opt to have the procedure younger in order to prevent premature wrinkles from ever appearing.
Will I still be able to make facial expressions?
Although the results are visible, a treatment with BOTOX® Cosmetic (onabotulinumtoxinA) will not radically change your facial appearance or make you look as if you’ve “had work done”. The muscle activity that causes frown lines between the brows is temporarily reduced, so you can still frown or look surprised without the wrinkles and creases between your brows.